Last updated on December 8th, 2016 at 01:40 pm
I received the following fun message while attempting to change SQL Server 2008 database properties:
Cannot show requested dialog (sqlMgmt)
Property Owner is not available for database xyz. This property may not exist for this object, or may not be retrievable due to insufficient access rights.
Visiting Uncle Google came up with some information regarding changing database ownership, which ultimately turned out to be the problem.
Running the sp_helpdb query showed there were several SharePoint databases with UNKNOWN listed as the owner. To fix this, the following query was created and executed against the problem databases:
EXEC sp_changedbowner 'DOMAIN\ACCOUNT'
For my query, I used the farm domain account and made it the owner.
04/05/14 UPDATE – New job, new fun. I found several databases where the original database owner no longer worked for the organization and their account was expired/deleted. When changing the database owner, you may receive a message stating that the new owner account already exists in the database. To resolve this, expand the database > Security > Users and delete the user account. Run the above T-SQL query and all will be right in the world again.